Friday, December 29, 2006

So Damn Insane

So Saddam is dead. They gave him a fair trial, found him guilty, and he hanged. I bet the Republicans are kicking themselves that they couldn't have gotten these kind of results in time for the elections.

Ok, I'm not gonna lie and say I have any idea what kind of political significance this holds. All I know is, I don't feel any sense of satisfaction about it. Typical response is likely, "woohoo, tyrant is dead, let 'em burn." But I'm just plain against the death penalty. Even for Hussein. I just think it says a lot about the human condition that we get such a sense of satisfaction and closure by taking a man responsible for bringing others to death, and killing him.

I dunno. I'll shut up.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well the particular status of the trial as fair is quite disputed. all three of the three presiding judges cited major government interference in the trial, with the first resigning explicitly because of the extent of government interference. also, halfway thru the defence's presentation of evidence, the judge called the trial to a close and disallowed any more evidence to be presented. so technically, the definition of "fair trial" is questioned by 3 major international human rights groups. just to let you know, not that i don't think saddam was guilty.

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home